Faro is a lively city loaded with cafes, restaurants, bars and other fun, social places. For many, Faro is a means to an end. Most visitors arrive at Faro Airport, pick up their rental car and set out for their holiday in other cities in the Algarve region. But we say, don't be like the crowd and give this city a chance!
Faro has a lot to offer. Its history and amazing sights will keep you busy wandering during the day, its numerous cafes and restaurants let you unwind when the sun goes down. Stroll through the city centre and see its amazing architecture, sunbathe on endless beaches and perhaps even take a boat trip to the wildlife sanctuary, Ria Formosa. And due to its ideal location, trips to nearby towns and other captivating spots in the Algarve region are easily driveable. If you're considering a car in Faro, you'll soon find out it's easy and there are many options to choose from.
Basic info and car rental in Faro
- Location: Southernmost Portuguese city, located in the Algarve region
- Population: 45,000 (2012)
- Official language: Portuguese
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Weather: Hot and sunny summers (80 – 86 °F / 27 – 30 °C) and mild autumns and winters (46 – 62 °F / 8 – 17°C)
- Holidays in Faro: For public holidays in Portugal, click here »
- Internet coverage: Most hotels, bars, restaurants and cafés offer Wi-Fi.
- Road conditions: Roads are well maintained and have good connections.
- Car hire in Faro: Prices vary but roughly 4.5 – 14 £ / day (5 – 15 € / day). Most visitors collect their rental car at Faro Airport, also known as Algarve Airport, only 2.5 mi (4 km) west of Faro. Find a perfect car hire deal in Faro.