They say that packing is a nightmare, but don’t believe everything they say. We are here to tell you that packing can be done in a heartbeat if you know what you are doing and if you keep in mind a saying from Antoine de Saint- Exupéry: »He who would travel happily must travel light«.
Here are some tips for packing like a pro:
- Plan day by day. Over-packing is a common mistake. You know the feeling – you packed 5 evening dresses and wore only one; the others were just extra weight. Planning each day in advance will help you decide how many pieces of clothing to take. After packing basic clothes, add a few extras – a warm sweater, a fancy dress and maybe some jeans which you can wear with anything.
- When traveling there and back, wear the same clothes. This can save you two days’ worth of clothing.
- Put large or heavy clothing at the bottom. If you put heavier clothes at the bottom, you will make it easier to find other items in your suitcase.
- Shoes? Sure, a girl needs shoes, but let them stay in your closet when you travel. You really need only three pairs of shoes: sneakers, sandals and a pair of formal shoes (optional). Besides, why not have a good excuse to buy an extra pair if needed…
- If you’re not wearing it at home, you’re not gonna wear it anywhere. If you have a dress that doesn’t fit you or that you don’t like, you won’t like it on your holiday. We like the fact that you are giving it a second chance, but this is not the place to do it.
- Roll, don’t fold. It saves space and avoid creases.
- Make use of “empty spaces.” You can use your shoes and fill them with rolls of socks or other small items. Just don’t stick underwear in them! :)
- Perfect small doses. If you want to take your favorite shampoo, make sure to put it in a small, travel-size container. You can do this with your makeup and other things as well.
- Check the weather. If it’s going to be hot, you don’t need a jacket. Just saying J
- Save room for memories. You will surely want to buy some souvenirs and gifts, so make sure you leave extra room in your suitcase.
- Don’t pack anything you can’t buy. If you are not planning on visiting a deserted island, you can be sure that you can buy almost anything you need at your destination.
Are you still in desperate need of help? Try an app called PackPoint Packing for Sheraton. Just enter your gender, the date of your departure, the destination and the activities you are planning and the app will do the thinking. :)