If you’re thinking about taking a road trip, our advice is Portugal! Why? We’re going to name just three things Portugal is worth a visit: the sunsets here are amazing, their food is super tasty, and the wine is heavenly. Period. We recommend you hire a car in Faro and drive along the coast to Lisbon. Believe us; this road trip has to be on your bucket list.
Top 5 stops on your road trip from Faro to Lisbon
- Lagos It takes one hour to get from Faro to Lagos. Lagos will charm you with its seductive sunset, phenomenal beaches, and a striking nightlife. Lagos should be at least one-day stop. Visit Potada Piedade and admire its cliffs and towers, orchids and the lighthouse. For beach-hoppers Meia Praia at the east side of town is a must. If you have rented a car it shouldn’t be a problem to explore the whole coast around Lagos. It would be a sin to miss all the charming fishing villages and less known beaches.
Where to eat: To get the taste of the local cuisine stop at the Chico Ze. They serve the best sardines in the world.
Fuel consumption from Faro to Lagos: 10 €
- Aljezur - this bewitching village is situated 30 km north of Lagos. Aljezur is worth a visit for numerous reasons; wild coastline, picturesque countryside and a collection of 10th-century Moorish ruins - just to name a few. Near Aljezur you’ll find some spectacular beaches which form a part of the Alentejo and Vicentine National Park.
Where to eat: Traditional Portuguese food is served at the Pont a Pe Restaurant. Their fish stew is out of this world.
Toll and fuel consumption: 4€
- Sines - otherwise the most industrial port of Portugal is also rich in history and heritage. For all history lovers, Sines Museum and Sines historic center are a must. Birthplace of Vasco da Gama will also surprise you with World Music Festival - the most prominent music festival in Portugal. Visit Praia de Sao Torpes, Blue Flag awarded beach.
Where to eat: Have you had enough fish? Adega de Sines serves the best chicken wings and chips.
Fuel consumption from Aljezur to Sines: 10 €
- Setubal is a place where civilisation meets wilderness. Setubal is an old fishing town that will astonish you with its vivid coastline and virgin beaches. If you’re one of the peace-seeking travelers you’ll fall in love with natural parks of Tagus and Sado. Right in the heart of Portugal richest wine-growing region, you’ll find a charming old town of Palmela with its grandiose Castelo de Palmela. Visit their food market Mercado do Livramento, which is considered to be the best in Portugal or enjoy the stunning panoramic view over the city at the Fortaleza de Sao Filipe.
Best local cuisine: Perola da Mourisca is the best seafood restaurant by far. But they also prepare the most delicious stuffed peppers and blood sausage topped with jam.
Toll and fuel consumption: Drive from Sines to Setubal will cost you approximately 18€ for 127 km.
- Lisbon - Congratulations - you have reached your goal - the “larger than life” city of Lisbon. Lisbon is Portugal in your pocket, and it has it all: alluring hillsides, ancient ruins and medieval castles, pink sunsets, great wine, begonia blossomed streets and a vibrant nightlife.
What to eat: Enjoy your “bachalhau” and “sardinhas assadas” in one of many friendly restaurants. We recommend Taberna Sal Grosso.
Consumption costs from Setubal to Lisbon: 14 €
Faro - the perfect starting point for your trip
Faro as the capital of Algarve region is unjustifiably overlooked - most of the tourists just quickly pass through which is a shame since Faro has a lot to offer. Nightlife in Faro is vibrant, its historic old town with many outdoor cafes and restaurants is delightful and nearby beaches are as captivating as others in Portugal. All you need to do is hire a car and you’re ready to go.
based on 2620 customer reviews
Rated 4.6 / 5
based on 682 customer reviews