Car hire in Marrakech
Basic info and car hire in Marrakech
Location: Central position in Marrakesh-Safi region, halfway between Agadir and Casablanca
Official language: Arabic and Berber
Currency: Moroccan Dirham (MAD)
Weather: Hot semi-arid weather with 12 degrees in the winter and above 30 degrees in the summer, with minimum rainfall throughout the year.
Public holidays in Marrakesh: For public holidays in Marrakesh click here »
Internet coverage: Free wifi is available in the majority of cafes and restaurants, the main wifi spots are also registered here »
Road conditions: The N7 highway is in perfect condition and allows a clear access to the city from the airport. The city centre is more hectic and demands a confident driver.
Car hire in Marrakesh: Car hire in Marrakesh are a standard procedure for the majority of international tourists. Car hire offices are located either on premises, either the agents deliver you the car on the Marrakesh airport parking area.
Located in the very proximity of the Atlas Mountains, Marrakesh city is one of the principal attractions in ‘Maghreb’ that attracts millions of tourists on a yearly basis, with Marrakesh airport being one of the busiest one in the region. An interesting mixture of the historical centre of Medina and the highly developed Ville Nouvelle has created a perfect tourist melting pot, where even language barriers seize to exist. A city that offers diverse activities for everyone has quality hotels and car hire options, so it can be a great starting point for your Morrocan adventure.
Driving in Marrakech
Marrakesh disposes a sufficient infrastructure and is convenient enough for a perfect car hire experience. Still, it’s essential to bear in mind that the environment and obstacles differ from European roads – keep an eye on donkey carts, pedestrians, motorcycles and even horses!
- Age limits: the minimum age to hire a car is 23 years, and in possession of driving licence for 2 years
- International Driving Permit: The national driving licence suffices, except for any licence of the non-latin alphabet where the international driving permit is also required.
- Additional requirements: A warning triangle and a reflective vest
- Children in the car: All children under 12 are required to be seated in the back of the car in the appropriate car seat for their age and weight. Reserve a suitable child or baby seat with your car hire in Marrakesh.
- Driving side of the road: Right side.
- Lights: It is only obligatory to have them turned on during the night, but beware of local drivers - they will not respect this 100%.
- General speed limits: Speed limits in towns goes from 60, 50, 40, and 20 km/h. Outside of towns the maximum limit is 100 km/h.
- Parking suggestions: Main parking spaces provide you with a parking on an hourly basis, on Sundays parking is free of charge. Main Parking Lots in the city centre: Parking et Lavage La Koutoubia, Parking Lot, Place du Palais Moulay Idriss etc.
Drive your rental car around Marrakech
Essaouira - The architectural marvel of Morocco is a great one-day escape from the crowd and the noise. The harbour built by the Portuguese, is nowadays more of a tourist attraction with excellent fish and spices market, crafts stores, galleries and a brilliant seashore. Best to drive there with your car hire - it will also give you plenty of space for your shopping bags!
Ouzoud waterfalls - The 110 meter or 360 foot waterfalls are yet another perfect getaway from the crazy city life. Take your hired car, we advise a 4x4 vehicle, as the waterfalls are situated higher in the Atlas mountains, and enjoy the amazing views they offer, catch a sight of the locals – macaque monkeys, and for a most informative experience have a local guide. They will be able to guide you safely through the hilly tops and tell you the secrets of Berber life.
The Ourika Valley - Cool down in the green Ourika Valley, where you can have a splendid day in nature, walk to the Tacheddirt, highest village in the Atlas and a perfect spot for all hiking enthusiasts. Make sure to have a good plan of the path and plenty of food with you. The valley is just a drive away from Marrakech and you will easily reach if you book a car hire in Marrakech.
Hot Air Baloon - What an incredible joy-ride this will be, just imagine the deserts, mountains and cities spreading below you! You can book this adventure in your hotel or online, in any case, we recommend the option with Berber meal included. There are many reliable agencies offering the service, make a research and choose the best for you and your company. You can easily access the meeting point with your car hire and set off to a new adventure in the sky!