Car hire in Palermo
Basic info and car hire in Palermo
- Location: Palermo, Province of Palermo, Sicily, Italy
- Population: 668,500
- Official language: Italian
- Currency: Euro (€).
- Weather: Subtropical Mediterranean climate. Summers are long, dry and hot, most of the rain occurs during the winter that is mild. Palermo is also known as one of the hottest European cities.
- Public holidays in Palermo: Check all public holidays in Palermo and Sicily
- Internet coverage: All the main parts of the city have quite a good internet accessibility, despite remote location from the mainland. Most of the shopping malls, restaurants, bars have an internet connection. Find free wi-fi hotspots in Palermo here.
- Road conditions: The city has great road connections which are not always the best. Be aware when driving in the city and have in mind that Italians are known as one of the most chaotical drivers. When travelling across the Island you won't have troubles if you drive carefully.
Are you travelling to Sicily? Discover this amazing island and find the best Palermo car hire deal! Car hire in Palermo will help you find the right car for your vacation and the most convenient price. Don't hesitate to plan your trip and visit the most famous and attracting locations on this Mediterranean island, find the best beaches, walk around the Etna volcano and experience Sicilian food and feasts. Read our tips for your Palermo car hire.
Driving in Palermo
- Age limits: 18
- International Driving Permit: Yes
- Additional papers: valid ID card or passport, valid drivers’ licence
- Additional requirements: obligatory car equipment, reflective jacket, warning triangle
- Children in the car: children between 4 and 12 years must use a safety restraint seat or seat belt. For children under 3 years of age is forbidden to seat on the front seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Dipped headlights must be turned on when driving on the highway, in the tunnel or during the night
- General speed limits: autostrada 130 km/h, highway 110 km/h, open road 90 km/h, town 50 km/h or less
- Parking suggestions: find parking suggestions on Parkopedia
Drive your rental car around Palermo
Hire a car in Palermo and choose among many Sicilian sights to visit; besides main coastal cities like Trapani, Messina, Catania, Syracuse there are plenty of beautiful beaches and ancient monuments.
Main roads you find on the northern part, that connects Trapani, Palermo, Messina, Catania and Gela. One part of the road is separated and connects Termini Imerese, Enna and Catania. The main highway is free of charge. The road is one of the best in Sicily, but you may encounter some special conditions or works on the road. The southern part of the Sicily has weaker road connection, there is only an open road.
The relief of the island is very diverse with a lot of hills, especially the north-eastern part with Mount Etna that represents the highest mountain with 3,326 metres. The southwestern part of Sicily is less hilly. On the northern part, you find some small islands but almost all-over the Sicily, especially on the west part, the best beaches.
Choose the best car hire deal in Sicily here and have an unforgettable vacation!