Vehicle rent offers you the best car hire deals in Keflavik. If you are looking for a great way to get around the city, then contact Vehicle Rent. We specialize in providing you with incredible offers that you can’t pass up. At Vehicle Rent our car hire Keflavik services give you the freedom to explore at your leisure.
Basic info and car hire in Keflavik
- Location: Southwest Iceland
- Population: 15,129
- Official language: Icelandic
- Currency: Kronur
- Weather: Short and cold summers. Wet and even colder winters.
- Public holidays in Keflavik:
- New Year’s Day 1 January
- Easter March or April; Maundy Thursday and Good Friday to Easter Monday (changes annually)
- First Day of Summer First Thursday after 18 April
- Labour Day 1 May
- Ascension Day May or June (changes annually)
- Whit Sunday and Whit Monday May or June (changes annually)
- National Day 17 June
- Commerce Day First Monday in August
- Christmas 24 to 26 December
- New Year’s Eve 31 December
- Internet coverage: Keflavik International Airport offers unlimited free and fast WiFi for travelers. FREE high speed internet is also available in all major hotels and public spaces throughout Keflavik.
- Road conditions: Driving around in your Keflavik car hire is a great way to explore the region at your own pace. Keflavik roads are generally narrow and more hazardous than you are used to. Always keep your eyes on the road and don’t get distracted.
Driving in Keflavik
Age limits: Minimum 18 years of age
International Driving Permit: Your driver's license issued in the U.S.A, Canada and the European Economic Area (EEA) are legitimate in Iceland. If your license was issued anywhere else, it must contain:
- A license number
- The license holder ́s photograph
- A valid date
- Utilize a Latin language
If you have a driver's license that doesn’t meet the above requirements, then you must present an international driving permit.
Additional requirements: Must have had a valid license for at least one year.
Children in the car: Children are permitted to ride in the car as long as you adhere to proper safety belt requirements.
Driving side of the road: In the country of Iceland, you drive on the right side of the road. Passing is done on the left.
Lights: Iceland utilizes the global standard of red, yellow and green lights. However in Iceland, making a right turn on a red light is illegal. Be mindful of this rule when driving your car hire in Keflavik.
General speed limits:
1. 30-50 km/hour in the city
2. 80 km/hour when driving through any countryside
3. 90 km/hour on paved asphalt roads
What to see in Keflavik
Our favourite spots
Viking world is home to an incredible replica of the Viking ship Íslendingur (the Icelander). This replica was built in 1996 and is a reminder of the glory and technological might of Icelandic Vikings. The museum houses many other Viking treasures that allow you to get up close and personal with the Viking legend. Use your car hire Keflavik to take a day trip to Viking World. You wont be dissapointed.
The Icelandic Museum of Rock ‘n’ Roll
Iceland certainly has a noteworthy Rock ‘n’ Roll history. This museum showcases the musical genre through the use of an Ipad tablet. By combining technology with history, you will have an amazing experience. The museum also offers ample parking for your Keflavik car hire.
Hotels in Keflavik
Airport Hotel Aurora Star
Drive your rental car around Keflavik
Reykjanes Peninsula Road Trip: This road trip is the perfect way to get the most out of your time in Keflavik. Use your car hire Keflavik to explore the mystical sights around the Reykjanes Peninsula. This 200 km road trip will take you to:
- Hot springs at Seltún and the green lake Grænavatn
- Krýsuvíkurberg Cliff
- The Blue Lagoon and some fine Restaurants in Grindavík
- The ghost in the Hot Spring and the Lighthouse
- Standing on a bridge between two continents
Where to eat, drink and party in Keflavik
This incredible bar is a wonderful warm place to grab a nice Islandic beer. If you like to sample different types of beers, then this is the place for you.
The music never stops at B5. Come for the music, and stay for the party atmosphere. B5 is one of the most popular Keflavik clubs.
Prikið is a legendary place known for its unique form of Icelandic hip hop. The setting isn't the biggest, but what it lacks in size, it makes up for in big vibes.
This pub style restaurant will give you the full spread of american and european style food. Everything from freshly fried fish to hamburgers can be found here. Enjoy!
Major events and festivals in Keflavik
Sónar Reykjavík is one of Keflavik most popular music festivals that takes place every February. Get ready to jam out in Reykjavík's Concert Hall, Harpa.
The Secret Solstice FestivalJune
The Secret Solstice Festival takes place every year in June. You will find the festival in Reykjavík's open recreational area of Laugardalur.
Iceland Airwaves happens in November and spans across the entire town. Everywhere from public spaces to the Blue Lagoon geothermal spa will be filled with party goers.