Car hire in Iceland
Basic info and car hire in Iceland
- Location: North Atlantic Ocean
- Population: 332,580
- Official language: Icelandic
- Currency: Icelandic krona(ICK)
- Weather: The climate is subarctic with long cold winters and short cool summers. Average summer temperatures range from 8-12 °C/46-53 F, although the south coast can be a little bit warmer. In winter temperatures drop to -3 °C/26F, with the lowest -38°C/-36F.
- Public holidays in Iceland: Click here for the full list
- Internet coverage: here you can check free WiFi hotspots in Iceland
- Road conditions: Main roads are well maintained, while the F-roads or mountain roads may be very narrow and not made for speeding. Caution advised.
The land of ice, fairytales and Vikings is located in the North Atlantic ocean. The capital city of this magic island is Reykjavik and home to nearly two-thirds of the population. Geysers, ice-volcanos and brisk clean air are making this land even more extraordinary. Its nature is indeed poetry for your soul, and it would be a shame if you do not take time to hire a car and visit this Land of Elves at least once in your lifetime. “A thing of beauty is a joy forever”, and that is Iceland - once you visit and you’re enamoured! Don’t be surprised if your artistic nature all of a sudden arises from the depths of your soul since this land has bred a good number of musicians, artists, writers and adventurers.
Driving in Iceland
Best way to get around in Iceland is to hire a car at the Reykjavik-Keflavik International Airport. This way you’ll be able to enjoy the power of Icelandic nature. Most roads are reliable during summer, but in winter snow can block some of the overland travel. We suggest you choose a safe speed according to the circumstances. There are many Petrol stations in Reykjavik, most of them are opened until 22.00 or offer automats in operation after closing time. All of the Petrol stations accept credit cards. Don’t drink & drive; driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal in Iceland and considered to be a serious offence.
- Age limits: 21 (In order to hire a car, it is required that the driver has held the licence for more than one year. To hire a 4x4 vehicle you must be at least 23 years old.)
- International Driving Permit: No
- Additional Papers: A valid ID (passport, a valid driver’s licence and a valid proof of insurance
- Additional Requirements: Warning triangle, reflective vests, first aid kit and hands-free equipment with hearing aid (required if talking on the phone while driving)
- Children in the Car: Children under 150 cms must use the correct child seat or child restraint system suitable for their height.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Headlights should be on at all times.
- General speed limits: 50 km/h in urban areas, 80km/h on gravel roads, 90 km/h on paved roads
- Parking suggestions: Parking in Iceland should be hassle-free, just remember that parking meters accept only Icelandic coins. For parking suggestions, click here.
What to see in Iceland
Iceland is becoming more and more popular due to its dazzling scenery, northern lights and last but not least, it is as pure as the driven snow. Iceland is where the dreamworld is.
Hire a car and check out our favourite spots.