Car hire in Corfu
Basic info and car hire in Corfu
- Location: Eastern Greece, on the border between the Adriatic and the Ionian Sea
- Population: 103,000
- Official language: Greek
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Weather: Mediterranean climate, with lowest 13 degrees in January and maximum 32 degrees in August. The island has very low rainfall and most of it occurs in January.
- Public holidays in Corfu: For public holidays in Corfu click here »
- Internet coverage: Corfu’s restaurants and cafes all have free wi-fi access, just as well it‘s possible to connect in the city centre of Corfu town.
- Road conditions: Corfu’s roads are interwoven between the hilly inside and more flat edge of the island. It is impossible to get lost in Corfu with your car hire, still, a GPS or a map can be very handy, especially on the western side where the road signs are not very specific.
- Car hire in Corfu: One can hardly imagine a better place to hire a vehicle – the island with its 64km of length is just the perfect size for daily trips – no matter on which side of the island you are situated. We advise you to reserve a smaller car hire in Corfu airport so you will be able to park it just about anywhere you choose to stop.
Greece has been an absolute touristic destination, welcoming everyone with the itch for culture and stunning seaside. No wonder then, be it on the mainland or on one of the hundreds of islands, you will receive a quality service, find something just for your type of travel and feel the pulse of this unique culture. The majority of its visitors come through the island's only airport - the Corfu airport. You will be able to discover the island with a car hire in Corfu, make romantic trips and reach the spots you desire. Corfu island is one of the biggest in Greece, yet still of that perfect size for daily trips, with mountains designed for adventurers, with impeccably blue beaches, and cultural haven Corfu Town also on the Unesco Heritage list.
based on 850 customer reviews
Driving in Corfu
- Age limits: 19
- International Driving Permit: not needed if you have a Latin alphabet driving licence
- Additional papers: ID or passport
- Additional requirements: Warning triangles, reflective vest
- Children in the car: Children under 150cm in height or 36kgs are bound to have an appropriate seat.
- Driving side of the road: Right.
- Lights: obligatory to turn them on during the night.
- General speed limits: in the urban area, the meter must not exceed 50 Km/h, otherwise, the rule is 90 Km/h. There is no highway on Corfu island.
- Parking suggestions: It can be really simple to find a free parking when off-season, however in the summer months you will need some creativity, as well as luck. Payable parking spots are an obvious solution then.
Drive your rental car around Corfu
The island has many fortresses, abandoned stone villages, museums and yes, beaches, the famous blue, sandy and rocky beaches scattered around the island and so easily accessible with a hire car in Corfu! We recommend avoiding the extreme south of the island - unless you fancy students’ wild partying, of course.
This is a little town with beaches and sea that just calls out for a swim, snorkelling, or underwater cave exploring. Ampelaki, Agia Triada, Platakia are just a few beaches where the unbelievable blueness will leave you completely charmed. With a car hire in Corfu, you can reach this destination quickly, within 30 minutes.
Such a wonderful town with amazing Greek restaurants and delicious home-made ice creams will make you coming back to it as much as possible. Located by the main road from Corfu town, and even with free parking options - Kassiopi is a well-deserved Corfu’s top location. If you’re driving with your hired car from Corfu town pay attention to tiny beaches on the right side of the road, what they have to offer is more privacy and a rustic feel to them, as being considerably less touristy.
A spectacular lake on the south-west coast of the island brings about a different atmosphere. The protected area is a home to many endangered species and is a haven for water birds, flamingos, falcons and swans. There you can also admire the wild scenery, sandy beaches and be a part of this calm and unique natural heritage.