Saint Denis lies in the northern suburbs of Paris in France, and it is a commune. Saint Denis is a home to the kings and their dynasties and the national football and rugby stadium, attracting the tourists with interests in history and culture as well as those interested in sports and entertainment. Use the service of car hire in Saint Denis, as you plan to get to the tourist places across the Saint Denis from the airport. For convenient travel and for traveling independently according to their choice, tourists prefer car hire at Paris airport as means of conveyance to the rich historic and architectural landmarks, museums, landscapes, gardens, and the delicious French eateries.
Basic info and car hire in Saint-Denis
- Location: Saint Denis, Ille-de-France, France.
- Population: 109,408.
- Official language: French.
- Currency: Euro (EUR).
- Weather: The weather in Saint Denis lies in the moderate and moderately hot range of temperatures, and doesn’t touch the extremes (both lower and upper). The hottest month is January with an average temperature of 27 degree Celsius while July is the coldest at 21 degree Celsius. February is the wettest month with an average of 350mm of rain.
- Public holidays in Saint Denis: Public holidays in Saint Denis are the same as those in France. It is always better to plan your travel according to the public holidays, depending on what perks you wish to avail and which ones you do not. You can check the public holidays in France here.
- Internet coverage: When you’re using car hire in Saint Denis for traveling around the place to famous tourist spots, it is recommended that you have internet to be able to see the real-time maps and traffic congestions. If that is not possible, use the paper maps. Otherwise, almost all big cafes and restaurants have free Wi-Fi facility, and all the hotels and coffee shops also have access to the internet for their customers.
- Road conditions: Luckily, France has a good network of roads that are maintained and kept well in order to augment the driving experience and lessen the hassle caused by the potholes. This however makes the area prone to speeding, but the authorities are cracking down on over speeding – a good news for the tourists.
Driving in Saint-Denis
Driving in Saint Denis is fairly easy due to well-constructed and well-kept roads. The auto routes from the airport to the major destinations are a gift for the tourists and they can reach their destination using a map with the minimal effort as a result. While driving, keep in the right lane unless when you are overtaking. Few of the over speeding vehicles may be seen on your way, so a careful driving in that respect is recommended. However, generally the French drivers are civilized and even the car parking is used very well. Car parking may be a problem in the major cities but there are several ways to deal with it. Suburbs and small cities and villages however are less prone to problems in parking.
- Age limits: A foreign driver cannot drive in France until the age of 18 years. Agencies for car hire in Saint Denis, on the other hand, may require you to be either 21 years old or to purchase the young driver permission for an extra charge.
- International Driving Permit: An international driving permit may not be required if you have a UK driving license. In case you are from somewhere else, it may be checked from the relevant authorities. However, an international driving permit can easily be obtained, so it is recommended to keep one with you.
- Additional papers: Proof of identification, a registration document (V%C Certificate, in case of your personal vehicle), and a proof of insurance are the required documents for driving in Saint Denis. If you are using car hire in Saint Denis, the agency may hand over an agreement to you, showing that you hired a car.
- Additional requirements: None.
- Children in the car: If there are children under the age of 10 in your car, they must not sit in the front seat unless the back seats are already occupied with under 10 year olds, and the child in the front seat (in that case) must be in an approved child restraint system.
- Driving side of the road: Right Hand Side.
- Lights: The traffic light rules followed across the world are also applicable to those in Saint Denis.
- General speed limits: In built-up areas keep the speed under 50 km/h while on other roads, a speed of up to 70 km/h is permitted. On the urban motorways or dual carriageways, a limit of 100 km/h (rain or precipitation)-110 km/h should be followed. On motorways, the maximum allowed speed is 130 km/h in normal conditions, 110 km/h in rainy situation, and 50 km/h if visibility is less than 50 km.
- Parking suggestions: You can always check the nearby paid and/or unpaid parking options at Parkopedia.
What to see in Saint-Denis
Ranging from the remarkable historic buildings to beautiful landscapes, the town of Saint Denis has so much to offer. However, we have compiled some of the major highlights of the place, which are mentioned below.
Our favourite spots
6.1 miles away from the Saint Denis area, the Eiffel Tower grabs attention of tens of thousands of tourists each year and it definitely deserves to be on the list. As you go up, you get the opportunity to see the whole city from up above and the spectacular views of the setting sun when you visit in the late afternoon. Getting to the second floor costs just above 15 pounds each person, which is expensive but definitely worthy of visiting.
You can check and book the available parking spots at Parkopedia.
The Luxembourg Garden was only open for the royals before the French revolution. It is now available for the general public to cherish the beauty and peaceful environment, fountains, statues, and colourful flowers. The park offers vast, lush green grounds that are best for family picnics or a nice evening walk.
In order to park your car, you can check and book the parking spots available at Parkopedia.
The museum was first built by Edoguard Andre along with his wife Nelie Jacquemart, both of which were collectors of art. The mansion offers the visitors access to a 19th century house filled with painting, furnishings, and tapestries. The interior of the house takes you a century back into a baroque, spacious home that is well-equipped with art.
Check out the available parking options at Parkopedia and pre-book your spot for ultimate convenience.
Those fond of architectural landmarks will fall in love with the architectural beauty of the finest royal chapel in France. The interior of the building features magnificent glass work that was once a modern decorative feature of building a century ago.
Take a look at the available parking options at Parkopedia in order to pre-book your spot.
Hotels in Saint-Denis
Drive your rental car around Saint-Denis
Saint Denis is a town and has a lot to offer, but going beyond the town to the nearby regions will allow you to explore the versatility of France using the car hire in Saint Denis.
Where to eat, drink and party in Saint-Denis
The restaurant offers a Cambodian and Asian cuisine in a comfortable, neat and tidy setting. The restaurant has a menu of the day and you can dine-in or take-away as per your convenience. Staff is friendly and the food is fresh, in addition to the good value for money that the restaurant provides.
If your taste buds are already itching for a good French pizza, Pizza Express is your place. It should be noted that the place offers pizza at excellent prices and doesn’t offer a luxurious sitting place, but a rather simple seating space but an excellent taste.
A beautiful interior with lights of different colours give a peaceful atmosphere at Nagoya. It is a Japanese restaurant and offer their specialties in a clean and well-maintained seating space.
One of the most praise-worthy restaurants, loved by the customers, and offering a truly luxurious setting is L’Arcane. Despite offering luxurious environment and tasty food, the restaurant offers reasonable rates.
Major events and festivals in Saint-Denis
From among several events that happen in Saint Denis and other regions close by, you’ll see some of the most cherished ones listed below.
An international event that attracts hundreds and thousands of people, Tour de France features a long-distance cycling event in July each year. It attracts professionals from all across the world to participate in this signature event.
Musical encounters between artists from various continents happens in the Metis Festival, along with the concerts throughout the nine cities.
Hip Hop and Urban Culture FestivalThe festival happens during the October-November period, whose details can be checked on Facebook event page for the respective year. The event is organized by the city government.
For two weeks every year, the festival highlights various aspects of urban dance for hip hop ranging from rap to slam, graffiti arts, and stand ups.
It presents symphonic classical concerts in a series every year in June. The Saint Denis festival is one of the major festivals of the Saint Denis town. Both the international soloists and the prestigious Parisian orchestra go along together, enchanting the large audience. The famous festival has some of its modules broadcasted on a giant screen in basilica.