Croatia’s principal seaport and third largest city, Rijeka, is secured at the very top of the Kvarner Gulf. A 20th century port showing off opulent Habsburg and Italian History will make it worthwhile your time, and if you hire a car in Rijeka Airport you will also be able to discover the surroundings of the city easily. Stop by and enjoy its carefree atmosphere wrapped in industrial charm, especially in the time of most colourful carnival.
Presently, Rijeka is an important transport hub and an industrial force making it an economic leader but and consequently also the educational and cultural centre next to the capital Zagreb, respectively.
Basic info and car hire in Rijeka
- Location: Rijeka is perfectly situated in western Croatia, 131 kilometers (81 miles) southwest of the capital, Zagreb, on the northern coast of the Rijeka Bay. It serves as a great starting point to Zagreb, Ljubljana, Istria peninsula and Kvarner islands or Dubrovnik, either by car, plane, train or ferry.
- Population: 128,624
- Official language: Croatian
- Currency: Kuna (HRK).
- Weather: Rijeka has a pleasant humid subtropical climate, characterized by warm summers and mild, rainy winters. Expect winds throughout the year, but especially during wintertime.
- Public holidays in Rijeka: Check for public holidays in Croatia
- Internet coverage: There is Free Wi-Fi coverage available in Rijeka downtown with more than 55 hotspots across the city. Check Free Wi-Fi in Rijeka.
- Road conditions: Local roads are well maintained however you are likely to experience dense traffic congestion during summertime. Keep an eye on your speed meter when driving your car as there are regular police controls right in the city centre.
- Car hire in Rijeka: The most common collection spot for car hire in Rijeka is the Rijeka Airport, also known as ''Zračna luka Rijeka''. Average prices for hiring a car are 11€/day in autumn, 6€/day in winter with prices rising in December, 9€/day in spring and up to 29 €/day in summer. Keep in mind that car hire prices fluctuate frequently. To ensure you have the lowest car hire price, make a car booking from 3 to 8 weeks prior to your vehicle collection. Alternatively, it is possible to get a great last minute car hire deal also. Find your perfect car hire deal in Rijeka!
Driving in Rijeka
Roads in Croatia are very well maintained and any desired location can be very easily accessed, however in the summer months prepare yourself for a much more crowded atmosphere on the roads. There's a handy app available for smartphones with live traffic conditions, petrol prices and other useful information for anyone on the road (ATMs, pharmacies, hospitals, etc.). For more information click here »
Otherwise, most of the Rijeka centre is accessible by foot and the traffic is in fact not allowed in Korzo (the main promenade of Rijeka). So, if you are heading for a car hire in Rijeka to visit the city centre, park your car on one of the parking spots at the outskirts of the city centre. Keep in mind that the maximum BAC level is 0.05 %, and there is a Zero Tolerance Law for novice drivers or drivers 21 years of age or younger.
- Age limits: 21 (Minimum age may vary according to car hire companies. In order to hire a car, some car hire companies require that a driver has held a driving licence for a minimum of one year.)
- International Driving Permit:
- Additional papers: ID (passport) and proof of insurance (It is advisable to buy insurance at the car hire agency; in case your policy does not cover your insurance while driving in Rijeka)
- Additional requirements: A warning triangle and a reflective vest.
- Children in the car: Children under the age of 12 are not permitted to travel in the front seat of a vehicle. Children between the ages of 2 and 5 must wear an appropriate child restraint and, if necessary, be seated in a booster seat. Select the baby and booster seats under the extras at your booking process, or ask for them at the car hire agency counter.
- Driving side of the road: Right
- Lights: Dipped headlights are recommended both day and night, and required during reduced visibility.
- General speed limits: 80mph (130kph) on motorways (70mph / 110kph in wet weather and on urban motorways), 55mph (90kph) on other roads outside residential areas, 30mph (50kph) in residential areas.
Parking suggestions: Rijeka has many open and closed car parks/ garages. If you are staying in Rijeka for several days with the hired car, choose a hotel with a private parking space. There are also over 200 public parking spots for people with disabilities in the city. Do keep in mind that in the summertime, when the city is filled with tourists, parking can be a challenging task even for most experienced drivers.
What to see in Rijeka
Breathe in Rijeka’s spirit by visiting the Central Market after your a walk down the stunning Korzo promenade. Enjoy the benefits of a car hire in Rijeka, drive to the Trsat town and admire its Castle and the view on the surroundings and nature.
Our favourite spots
The number one Rijeka's attraction, a 13th century fortress, built by Frankopan dukes of Krk offers spectacular views on the Rječina River valley, the Adriatic sea and the Krk island. Here you can spend as many hours as you’d like, the place offers romantic walks and interesting architecture to admire.
There are several garages and parking spaces in the village Trsat. Find your Car park in Trsat!
Markets are always a good choice of getting to know the culture and customs of a new city. Admire the stunning architecture of the fish market and awaken all your senses by enjoying a pleasent walk inbetween the homegrown products of Rijeka's Central Market
You can feel the heartbeat of Rijeka on this long and broad promenade full of picturesque cafés and restaurants. After having a cafe in one of the bars take a walk along the coastline and breathe in some fresh sea air. Get lost in the alleys connected to the Corso and discover tiny hidden buildings, towers and excellent bars and pubs that will make your stay in Rijeka one to remember.
Park your car in one of many parking spaces in Rijeka.
The symbol of Rijeka is a baroque City Tower dominating the central part of Korzo. The decorations on the tower were added by the Habsburg family after the devestating earthquake in 1750.
Hotels in Rijeka
Hotel Jadran is situated on the coast 1 km from the centre of Rijeka, with a simplistic decoration with balcony and views of the Kvarner Bay.
The hotel is located in the small historical town of Kastav, in the middle of an ancient square, combining the rustic with modern design.
Hotel Neboder is located in the heart of Rijeka and provides comfortable accommodation with free WiFi access and spectacular view of the city, the Učka Mountain and the island of Krk.
A hostel situated on a permanently moored ship right in the centre of Rijeka. With a free Wi-Fi and a restaurant on board is a great pick and an amazing experience.
Drive your rental car around Rijeka
Croatia has a very modern motorway system connecting the major cities on the coast to the interior of Croatia. However, if you are up for a road trip, we advise you to experience the Croatian coastline via the Adriatic road “Magistrala”, which starts in Rijeka and takes you to the Croatian south, to Dubrovnik. To arrive in Dubrovnik, you have to cross the Croatian border, so check with your car hire agency if you are allowed to trespass to Bosnia & Herzegovina and Montenegro, usually, this is permitted and only rarely it introduces small extra fees.
If shorter trips is what you have in mind with a car hire in Rijeka, then the surroundings of the city have a lot to offer. You can drive ten kilometers up the coast from Rijeka to find Kastav, a small stone town on high ground, 365 meters above the sea. The streets of the 16th-century core are just right if you want to escape Rijeka; in fact, many Rijekans come to Kastav in the summertime for the many concerts and festivals held at this scenic spot welcoming internationally appraised artists.
Another beautiful spot is the old village town of Volosko, near Opatija, a 20 min drive to the north from Rijeka. The town has a picturesque view of the sea and the village's narrow lanes are an inexhaustible source of inspiration for artists. Once you are in the vicinity, you can visit the immense Opatija, the all-time favourite tourist destination in Croatia, with an illuminated 12 km coastal promenade and stunning public gardens.
However, if you are looking for a tranquil place to relax and enjoy your vacation Island of Krk which is the largest island in the Adriatic(same size as the Island of Cres). The island is easily accessible via Krk bridge by car just south of Rijeka city. There are a lot of other islands to visit nearby, accessible by ferry.
Where to eat, drink and party in Rijeka
Croatian cuisine in Rijeka is influenced by the Mediterranean and Italian culinary. Olive oil, rosemary, and fish are some of the common ingredients to every meal. Rijeka offers many taverns and restaurants, as well as night clubs and bars. Nightlife becomes especially active in summer.
Major events and festivals in Rijeka
The port of Rijeka turns into a top sailing enthusiasts destination from all over the world in June. Fiumanka offers free regattas as well as a »Virtual Fiumanka«, for those at home.
A festival of the maritime tradition in Kvarner the Rijeka’s visitors can experience the heritage of the Rijeka city
In summer, the city of Rijeka transforms its squares, streets and terraces into a performance stage. The Programme includes drama thertre and street theatre, concerts and similar.