We at Vehicle Rent have the best car hire deals in Salzburg – but we also put together this short guide to Salzburg specially to help you get to know the city! Book your Salzburg hire car with us and get right to the heart of Salzburg.
Car hire from Salzburg airport can take you on to all those hidden parts of the city that you wouldn't get to see on public transport. When you engage with Salzburg car hire the whole city becomes your oyster; allowing you to go where you want, when you want and how you want.
We at Vehicle Rent are specialists in making sure that you get from Salzburg Airport to your destination – and home again – all through the power of our well-established car hire firm in Salzburg. Make the most of your holiday, make a memorable vacation, and enjoy everything that this delightful country has to offer – all by choosing your Salzburg Car Hire with Vehicle Rent.
Basic info and car hire in Salzburg
- Location: Salzburg Airport, Innsbrucker Bundesstrabe 95, Flight hub for Salzburg and Ski Resorts.
- Population: Salzburg has a total population of 152,367. Salzburg Airport sees an annual average of 1.8 million passengers.
- Official language: German Language Speakers
- Currency: The Euro
- Weather: Warm weather in June, July and August. Less rain in the winter than an average EU member state with February the driest month of the year. Average temperature ranges from 20-15 oc.
- Public Holidays in Salzburg: January 1st (New Year's Day), Epiphany is 21st April. Easter Sunday falls around 1st May, Ascension Day 30th May, Pentecost 9th June, Easter Monday (2019) was the 10th June, Corpus Christi 20th June. The Feast of Assumption is 15th August, St. Rupert's Day the 24th September, Austrian National Day is the 26th October, All Saint's Day is celebrated on the 1st of November, The Immaculate Conception is feasted on the 8th December with Christmas Day and Boxing Day falling respectively on the 25th and 26th of December.
- Internet Coverage: Salzburg Airport has Wi-Fi. 4G coverage is available throughout the city.
- Road Conditions: You can get the latest traffic news via ViaMichelin.
Driving in Salzburg
- Age Limits: You must be over the age of 18 to drive in Austria, but you must be at least 19 years old for Salzburg car hire.
- International Driving Permit: Must be used and should be carried at all times alongside your state Driving Permit.
- Additional Papers: Proof of insurance, Proof of ID (a passport), and proof of right to drive the vehicle (which will be provided when you rent your Salzburg hire car).
- Additional Requirements: International permit must be renewed once a year. Valid Vignette is needed for certain motorways and roads but this will be provided with your hire car paperwork.
- Children in the Car: All children under 14 are the responsibility of the driver and must wear safety belts or have the appropriate car seat allocated to their age. You can learn exactly what the regulations are on the Austrian Government Website. Driving Side of the Road: In Austria, you drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- Lights: Should be used in poor daytime visibility, signalling is similar to that of the US and UK, further tips can be found courtesy of SixT magazine.
- General Speed Limits: The autobahn speed limit (free-way speed limit) is 130km/h. 50Km/h is the general speed limit for built up or residential areas. As of summer, 2019, Austria are trialling a new 140 km/h speed limit on the Autobahns, but this has not yet come into full effect.
- Parking Suggestions: Paid parking in the city center Monday-Friday, 0900 – 1900, Saturday 0800-1600 hours. Free parking is available on the outskirts of the town and through individual shopping centers. You can find more details on parking by visiting car-parking EU.
What to see in Salzburg
Salzburg is home to some fantastic attractions, such as the Mirabell Palace, the Fortress Hohensalzburg and the Schloss Hellbrunn. Of course, the more traditional attractions (such as the Salzburg Zoo) bring visitors from all over the world.
Our favourite spots
Hotels in Salzburg
Drive your rental car around Salzburg
Why stop at Salzburg? You can choose from the best car hire deals in Salzburg and travel the scenic route to Vienna. If scenery sparks your interest, then Hallstatt and the Dachstein Salzkammergut are must-sees on your Austria trip. You could even head for the mountains and go skiing at Kitzbuhel and Kitzbuheler Horn!
Those who want some adventure might find a tour of the Medieval Burg Hochosterwitz exciting: this whole gorgeous village exists perched on a crag above a fragrant valley. The opportunities for traveling in comfort are endless when you choose Salzburg car hire with Vehicle Rent!
Where to eat, drink and party in Salzburg
Ikarus Restaurant is an excellent place for winning over clients.
The Esszimmer restaurant is famous for its drinks.
The Imlauer Sky Bar offers food late into the night.
Visit the Pascha Salzburg nightclub to party the night away with friends.
Major events and festivals in Salzburg
Salzburg Easter Festival – this celebration lasts ten days over Easter.
Salzburg Whitsun Festival – is a celebration of the arts through concerts and plays.
Salzburg Advent Singing – involves the whole community every festive season.
The Salzburg Festival – is a joyful celebration of all things Salzburg!