It’s that time of the year, yes! The summer is perfect in Sardinia but can be crowded with tourists, so if you have the possibility to visit Sardinia, do it in autumn. It's the perfect time to feel free, we can still build castles in the sand, smell the sea, ride the waves, relax and unwind.
If your idea of the perfect holidays consists of charming bays, alluring beaches, and romantic sunset moments - Sardinia is the place to be! Cagliari will surely bedazzle you with its snow-white beaches and turquoise waters.
Cagliari: Our 5 favorite beaches
It’s time to start beach-hopping! Hundreds of beaches stretching along the coast of Cagliari region make it hard to chose the ones that are best. But we’ll make an effort and try to pick the best out of the best.
Here they are - the best beaches of Cagliari:
- Poetto Beach the main beach of Cagliari is our happy place! 8 kilometers of turquoise and shallow waters lined with cafes and restaurants is a must. You can even spot pink flamingos from here!
- Calamosca is best for those in search of solitude. White sandy beach with crystal clear waters is a promise of peace and quiet to relax and unwind.
- Solanas Beach is another great escape to paradise. 35 km from Cagliari lies a sandy beach with glittering turquoise water. Great beach for families with small children. But also an ideal place for surfers and scuba divers!
- Mari Pintau Beach is located southeast of Cagliari. This pebbled beach with the turquoise sea will surely remind you of Monet. Coincidence or not - Mari Pintau means “painted sea,” and it is indeed a sight for sore eyes. Que Bellissima!
- Cala Regina it can’t get cornier than this. Just a few kilometers southeast of Cagliari you’ll find this alluring beach made up of rocks and pebbles drowning in deep blue waters. Play of light makes the water change colors - from dark blue to turquoise blue and back to marine blue. Insane!
Cagliari: Things to do without going to the beach
If you’ve had enough of beach hopping there is plenty to do in Cagliari instead.
One option is hiking - and it’s an excellent choice.1023 meters above sea level there is Monte dei Sette Fratelli - the highest peak in the mountain region of the Sarrabus. Sette Fratelli meaning seven brothers consist of seven granite peaks and offers several hiking trails. Smells of juniper, oleander, and myrtle will most certainly awaken your senses.
Dive into Sardinian cuisine. It comes as no surprise the food here is delicious. You cannot miss their yummy pasta from seafood - fregula and their octopus salad. Some of the best restaurants you can find right in the city center. If you consider yourself as the best chef in the world, you have to check out their local market for their fresh local products. Hire a car and drive to Pula Market - one of the most atmospheric markets you can find.
And last but not least, discover the old city of Cagliari! Cathedrals, medieval towers, and piazzas are a must!
Summer will end, but your memory of Cagliari will stay forever.