There are some countries that are perfect for an escape from everyday life and then, there are countries that make us feel at home. We can definitely include Austria among the latter.
In Austria you can always feel like home
If you can’t decide where to go for your autumn trip, Austria has to be the destination of your choice! Austrian rustic cuisine, charming colourful cities, breath-taking Alpine slopes and calming effect of its lakes make us feel right at home.
What to do in Austria
Roads are well maintained and drivers civilized so it’s not a problem to be your own tour guy. Just hop in the car and drive to Vienna for a cup of coffee and Sacher torte, visit fascinating Alps for hiking or dress up and go to State Opera house, one of the most prestigious opera houses in the world.
If you're in to photography, October and November are your best choice, since nature in this time is just amazing and colourful architecture is literally glowing in falls sun light. It really is breath taking. Baroque and gothic masterpieces in Vienna, Salzburg or Innsbruck will definitely inspire you.
One of the must-see destinations is also Salzkammergut – magic lake area. It's one of the most impressive regions in the heart of Austria. There are 76 lakes, one of them was even painted by Gustav Klimt. If you are going to be near that place, you must visit magic old village, named Hallstatt. It's one of the most photographed places in Austria.
Even if you are not into photography or culture, you will enjoy Salzkammergut since it offers noumerous possibilities for long walks and biking tour.
Enjoy, eat, and drink in Austria
We all wish to escape cold fall weather, but the best part of visiting Austria is its vide range of spa and wellness centres, that are going to make you feel warm and completely relaxed. You can even take it a step further and indulge in charmingly rustic culinary of Austria.
The prominent Wiener Schnitzel – fried viel steak with fries, pork sausages and sauerkraut – fermented cabbage, apfelstrudel – apple strudel, germknödel – plum jam filled dumpling, or gulasch – beef stew are all amaizingly satisfying dishes.
Its good to know when driving in Austria
- It's suitable for foreign frivers, roads are well maintained and traffic regulations are standard. Austrians drive on the right side of the road, and general speed limits are 50 km/h (in cities), 100 km/h (on main roads) and 130 km/h (on motorways).
- Problematic areas: Big city centres like Vienna. (It's advised to park the car in the nearest garage before the city of your destination and take a short walk to the centre.)
- Motorway Vignette is obligatory. You must display it on the inside of the windshield of your vehicle as soon you enter Austria. Stickers can be obtained from the Austrian Automobile Clubs as well as post offices, newsagents and petrol stations. You can read more about driving in Austria here »
- Austria is part of EU, so euro € is its currency.
- Official language is German, yet you should have no trouble at all getting by using English, particularly in hotels, stores, restaurants and other places used to dealing with foreign tourists.
- International Driving Permit is accepted.
Hire car in Austria
If you are looking to hire a car in Austria you can choose between many reliable car hire partners that we have in Austria (like Sixt, Buchbinder and so on). We offer you the wide variety of affordable car hire options in many different cities like Salzburg, Vienna, Dornbirn, Sankt Poelten and so on.
Why choose us
By using our easy-to-use car hire comparison for Car Hire Austria you will be able to find the best offers for car hire in this amazing little country on the web. Choosing your preferred car hire company you will be able to finalize your car hire in 3 easy steps where we will transparently provide you with all information needed.
Searching for something specific?
Vehicle-Rent’s team will be happy to give you more information about car hire in Austria if needed. Contact us via live chat, email or telephone (+44 207 1936 139).
Rated 4.8 / 5
based on 1023 customer reviews